MARCH 2017: WOMEN’S MONTH CELEBRATION
“Women Refugees: Our Journey Into the Unknown…”
March is declared as women’s month and women’s achievements and contributions to history and society are celebrated worldwide. Make Every Woman Count (MEWC) as an African woman-led organisation, which serves as a mobilising, networking, information, advocacy and training platform for African women, is pleased to announce its participation to the celebration of women’s history and rights by launching the project “Women Refugees: Our Journey Into the Unknown..”
According to UN’s refugee agency, women and girls make up around 50 per cent of any refugee, internally displaced or stateless population. Eighty-six percent of refugees are hosted by developing countries, with more than 30% in Turkey (2 million), Pakistan (1.5 million) and Lebanon (1.15 million). During 2016, almost 1 million refugees are estimated to have arrived in Europe by sea alone, according to the International Organization for Migration. As this mass flight of people keeps on growing, women/girls refugees/asylum seekers/ migrants of different ages and backgrounds will explain to us what made them leave their countries and describe us their journey and their new lives.
Our aim with this project is to showcase the resilience and survival of what it means to be a woman refugee. In addition, we hope that this project will change the perceptions of the media and the public about refugees.
If you are interested in sharing your story with us, please see the submission detail below:
- Tell us about your journey as a refugee from your home country to where you are today?
- Your name and identity will be protected if you wish to be anonymous.
- Attach your article to the email in Microsoft Word format.
- Length: The article should be between 500-1000 words. Please Use British English and Articles should be furnished with links from reputable sources – news websites, blogs, books, etc.
- Style: MEWC welcomes all forms of writing ranging from different academic frameworks, personal narratives, poetry and journalism. Pictures and videos are strongly encouraged, as they help to engage our target audience.
- Submit your article to the following email: email@example.com
- If you need assistance, our team can have an interview with you and write the article from the interview. Do get in touch at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline: 20th February 2017
We invite you to follow us along from March 1st 2017 till March 31st 2017 in our blog and on our social media:
Facebook: Make Every Woman Count
Every girl and woman has a right to a peaceful life, Together, lets’ make every woman counts!